Saturday, February 24, 2007

Irresistible Loneliness


Being in a business trip is something that I can’t resist. Even if it was only for a day, it felt like hundred days, especially when it had to take my day off. This Saturday, I had to be in Jogja to assist my client to launch one of their card products. I went to Jogja with Garuda on Friday night at 6.40 pm. What I hated the most from this time business trip was that I had to go alone. Well, there were times when I went with other colleagues, but this time I ended up being alone.

I arrived in Soekarno Hatta International airport at 5.30 pm, so I had around an hour to wait for the boarding time. As soon I arrived, I approached to the check in counter; there was a heavy package to be registered in the baggage. Soon I’ve done with it, I looked around to see if there was thing that I could do before entered the gate. I managed to apply the GFF membership that took around 15 minutes. Then, I was free…this time I felt great hunger. I knew that there would be food on the board, but I didn’t mind to have a light snack before the take off. I grabbed myself a three pieces of chicken nugget and a big glass of cola…definitely an ultimate pleasure to eat something I like when I feel hungry. It was 6.15 pm by the time I finished my light meal, so I decided to enter the gate, mine was F4.

The waiting lounge was quite crowded, yet I didn’t find difficulty to find a good seat. I turned on my laptop and started to write something that I haven’t had finished at work. It felt like second when the officer called for boarding. I felt tired already…it’s killing me when I don’t be able to speak to anyone…I like to talk so much. My friends sometimes feel annoyed when I can’t stop talking. Once they challenged me for not talking, it lasted only 26 seconds.

I got (again) wing side; it’s a natural luck that I always get a seat on the wing side. However, I always enjoy it as much as I can, because I like to see how the wing moves and also the view outside. I ended up seating with two men, one was a foreigner and the other one was Indonesian. The middle age Indonesian sat next to me, he wore a nice dark blue suit. Finally, I could talk with someone, with this man. He is around 50 something and is a director of a well known financial institution in Indonesia, he was also on a business trip. He is a nice man with Batak accent, an easygoing person. We exchanged story on why we had t o be in Jogja, about our job and finally exchanged name card. The night trip to Jogja was a rough one, bad weather; rain and bit thunder lights. The landing was also scary, felt like riding on Metromini (public bus) where it always makes sudden breaks, bit bouncing and shaking. The runway in Adi Sucipto – Jogja airport is not smooth and short, it always give a hard time for the pilot to land smoothly. This time, it wasn’t a good landing at all.

After I could manage with my baggage, I went out and looked for the pick up service. I saw a man holding a board with my name on it; soon I approached him in rush. The plane was late for 20 minutes and I wouldn’t make him wait for longer. It was so nice to be finally in Jogja after more that 10 years from the last time I visited Jogja. In 15 minutes I already arrived in Novotel. After I finished with the registration, I finally could see my room, a superior room, a nice and warm room.

I needed to meet few people before I could rest. My client from Jogja branch office needed to get the package that I brought from Jakarta. It felt like a short meeting, yet it was already 10.30 pm when we finished the meeting. Finally, I was free, yet alone. I decided to take a bath to relax myself. I turned on the hot water to fill the bath tube. I poured in the bath foam to the hot water, it was in mint flavor. I soon got inside the bath tube and laid down…so relaxing! In half an hour I finished my bath and hurried to sleep. Evren called to check how I feel; it was so nice to hear him before going to bed.

The next morning, in the hotel restaurant, where I wrote the story, on the corner of the restaurant with my laptop and a glass of coffee, I started my busy day. I ate quite a lot that morning; I always have great appetite in the morning. After I finished my breakfast, I had to meet my client to give a quick brief on the event, as he would be the spokesperson. Almost an hour we talked. Inside my heart, I thanked him because with him I was able to talk. During the day, I met lot of people that I could talk to, the media, my client and other people. I even didn’t realize that it was only 1.5 hours before my departing time. The event was a success, even though Jogja was wet all day by heavy rain.

After sending several documents and had a quick chat with Evren, I hurried myself to go to the airport. I said to myself “It must be a long journey again, since there will be no one to talk to…phuii…” I bought few traditional foods in airport for office and home. As I went out from the store, I saw someone I knew before. Lucky me, it wasn’t only one but two person that I knew them in Aceh. I thanked God that He answered my worry… It was 6.20 pm as we took off. Even I and two other friends sat on different seat; I managed to talk with someone else, the man who sat next to me that was my friends’ client. I landed in Jakarta safely…well, travel alone wasn’t bad at all, except the reality that I might have to shut up.

No comments: