Sunday, March 04, 2007

Between Benny Likumahua, Bubi Chen, Jamie Cullum and Larry Franco

Java Jazz Festival has been conducted for two days, and today is the last day. I never went to any Java Jazz Festival, because I don’t feel to go. I’m not a jazz maniac; I just like jazz, like any other music.

This year Java Jazz Festival, I got a free ticket from my journalist friend, Alessandro. He’s an Italian journalist living in Australia for more than 9 years. He works as journalist for RTSI, a Switzerland radio news bureau and for RAI, Italian national TV. He wanted me to assist him in interviewing Indonesian jazz artists and needed me as a fixer. Well, I don’t mind at all, after all it’s nothing for a free ticket to Java Jazz that cost IDR 900 thousands for the last day. Aside from the entry ticket, the ticket is also valid for Jamie Cullum’s concert. So not bad, hah?!

Now, it’s almost 11 pm and now I’m here waiting for an interview with Bubi Chen, a legend in local jazz industry. He’s still on stage playing with Benny Likumahua and his band; the audiences are so excited and so moved with the rhythm. I see Ale in the corner with his huge camera on the corner, he seems really enjoy the show. Like he said earlier in his Italian accent, “Bubi Chen is fantastic!” Now, I’m trying to recap my day since 3 pm this afternoon. I arrived in the convention center around 3 pm something; I had to wait for around 10 minutes until Ale came out to get me in. I have to wear a wristband with “Press” written on it, kinda funny that I always in the position to handle journalist and now I’m in their position. Ale led me to the media center to re-register.

The convention center was still empty as I got in; several bands were playing their own rhythm. It’s more like night market where I can hear two or three music are playing at the same time. As I entered the media center, I saw few people there wearing the same wristband as I do. 4 apple PCs are there to serve journalists needs of Internet. After re-registration, I followed Ale and discussed our program. He asked me whether he could interview several Indonesian jazz artists, and I recommended two names from the list. Benny Likumahua and Bubi Chen, both are Indonesian leading jazz musicians. There are pioneers or I can say legends in jazz industry. Soon after we’ve finished with the discussion, I rushed myself to the media center to get information on how to interview these two legends. Ale, in the other hand, needed to wait for his source, an Italian jazz artists that also involve in the festival. He wanted to interview them prior to their performance tonight.

Finally, I could get into the list of interviewers to Benny Likumahua and Bubi Chen. It wasn’t that hard, just needed to use my hidden journalist skill, not bad at all! Our first interview was with Benny Likumahua, it took around 15 minutes and the interview was in Bahasa. Ale wanted it in Bahasa, “to get original side,” he said. He gave compliment for my act as a reporter; he said, “You’re a born talent,” again with his Italian accent.

Anyway, I finally got introduced to the Italian artists, Larry Franco and his band, and we ended up watching SF Jazz Collectives from USA. They were really good! One of the SF musicians was Bobby Hutcherson, one of few vibraphone and marimba players in the world of jazz. That was the first time for me to see what vibraphone looks like. Slightly, it looks like our traditional instrument, Angklung. I sat there enjoying the performance for almost an hour until it had to end. Then, Ale and I wanted to have dinner before we continue the program. We had dinner in Sultan hotel, a quick one, and we had to hurry to see Jamie Cullum’s concert at 7.30 pm.


Jamie Cullum’s concert was postponed to 8.15 pm, but we were already there. At 8 pm the door was opened, we entered the hall slowly because of the lineup. We managed to get a good spot for Ale to be able to shoot the stage. The hall was getting crowded and packed. Not long, the presenters called Jamie Cullum to start the performance, scream and applause welcomed his appearance on the stage. Ale had to move his camera to other strategic spot to get good views. He said, “You’re off duty, you can enjoy the concert and we’ll meet again after the concert!” I didn’t know whether I had to be happy or not. “Should I enjoy the concert,” I questioned myself. I never really like Jamie Cullum like Shilla does. She supposed to be here somewhere; she’s a Jamie Cullum’s biggest fan. I called her up and asked where was she…I could only find her after more than 15 minutes. She really enjoyed the concert.


I could only last there for almost an hour, and then I decided to go out and get a fresh air. I called up Ale to check where he is. He was in Bubi Chen’s show when I found him. The Bubi Chen’s show was start late, therefore the interview will be late too. So, I went out and looked for a place where I could open my Mac and write something. As I walked out from the Bubi Chen’s show, I saw a room and I catched a note “Jamie Cullum’s Press Conference” written on that room’s door. I hurried to text Shilla about it and hopefully she could join the press conference.

That’s what happen today. Now, I’m resting my legs and waiting for next interview with Bubi Chen, and to close my day I’ll see Larry Franco’s show at 11 pm…what a day!! Thanks a lot Ale for inviting me to the Java Jazz Festival…

No comments: